Reasons for hall monitoring

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun May 9 21:20:30 UTC 2010

On 05/10/2010 02:10 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> We do not and should never support proprietary drivers. Please NEVER
> withhold a new version of X.Org X11 just because proprietary drivers don't
> support it!

It might not be obvious but doing so is very counter productive even for
those users wanting to use proprietary drivers.  Nvidia doesn't update
their driver everytime there is a new Xorg release.  They wait for a
major distribution to include it first.  If Fedora waits for Nvidia, we
will have a chicken and egg situation.   Among distribution vendors, Red
Hat is by far the leading contributor to Xorg and Fedora benefits very
much from the expertise by getting many new features first.  It would be
silly to throw away that benefit in favour of proprietary driver support.

Rahul