Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

Chen Lei supercyper1 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 03:22:22 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>

> For the applications I know some comments
> * I am quite sure that gmanedit is not a manedit evolution. However,
> manedit
>  is orphaned right now (though still not purged).
> * xdialog is build twice, once agains gtk+ and then against Gtk2. I think
>  it would be nice to keep it that way, though you could also convince the
>  current maintainer to keep only the Gtk2 stuff. also xdialog seems to be
>  pretty dead upstream too, though I still haven't seen a perfect
>  substitute (zenity is close, but not compatible).
>

> There are no open bugs against gtk+ which is, in my opinion in favor
> of keeping it. One point against gtk+ is the lack of utf8 support. I don't
> know if there are other noteworthy differences.
>
> In my point of view, the only convincing reason to keep gtk+ 1.2 in fedora
is if there are some widely-used gtk+ applications that don't have better
alternatives with modern toolkit. As you mentioned, gtk+ is the lack of utf8
support, this is really bad for non-English users.  Also, there may be
potential security problems exists in gtk+ with dead upstream for 9 years
which is really a long time.

The one thing I can confirm is most gtk+ applications with active upstream
already ported their softwares to GTK2 or other modern toolkits, the only
thing we should do is simply update those packages to the latest version.

e.g.
bubblemon-0:1.46-10.fc12.x86_64
crossfire-client-0:1.11.0-3.fc12.x86_64
dillo-0:0.8.6-11.fc12.x86_64