Reasons for hall monitoring

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon May 10 04:28:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 15:27 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> If you think we should vote, go join debian.  I think
> they do that there.

First, I never said we should 'vote'. I talked about community
involvement.
Second, if you are looking at the sure path to drive people away,
sending them to "go join Debian" will be it.
(Though, in your defense, I did the same more than once, so I can't
really blame you without sharing the blame)

> In the meantime our community is suffering far more
> infighting then before because everyone thinks their version is the right
> version.  As we narrow our focus, people are going to find they fall
> outside of that focus.
>
> Bottom line is we should have done what we're doing now long ago, so we're
> suffering the consequences as a result.  Lots of people with conflicting
> views are now here.  Our lack of focus has just hurt us.

I fully agree.
With every single word.

I do not agree that that working with zero community input is the way to
achieve a working compromise. (And input does not equal vote)

> Have you used OSX lately?  They're playing in a whole different league and
> a whole different game then we are.  It's not even a comparison.  Not only
> do we copy OSX but we do so poorly.  For those that have problem with
> apple or want a "more free" OS, Ubuntu's got the share.  We're just not
> there.  Fedora's board isn't driving users and developers away, our OS is.
>
> The worst part is we won't get those users back with a marginally better
> product.

I can't really comment on it. (Don't have OSX, never tried it)
Though, I would imagine that Fedora is compared to Ubuntu and Windows 7;
I doubt that OSX is even on the list.

- Gilboa