Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

Chen Lei supercyper1 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 05:27:11 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>

> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Chen Lei wrote:

> >> This is the *only* soundfont editor there is in Linux, which is enough
> >> reason to keep gtk+.
> >> Upstream did not do any updates recently, but that doesn't mean that
> >> the software is not functional.
> >>
> >> Orcan
> >> --
> >
> > swami(svn) now use gtk2, don't worry about this, it has a quite active
> > upstream.
> >

> I wonder where you got that information. The gtk2 port was stalled a
> while ago and it is not functional. The author  (he is also a
> fluidsynth dev) was in exile until yesterday. He just came back to say
> that he won't be able to find time to do programming for a while
> longer.
>
> I don't see swami-2 out (or have a functional trunk)  in the near future.
>
> Orcan

I saw him commit the svn two month ago and change the public information one
month ago. I think the project is still active.

Also, the following guideline is based on swami-2. I'm not know whether the
trunk version can work well or not.
*http://swami*.*resonance*.*org*/*trac*/*wiki*/*SwamiInstall*

Actually, considering it also has an active upstream, it's not suitable to
retire swami from fedora. But It's right to retire some other packages with
dead upstream(no svn commit) for more than 5 years, it'll accelerate us to
finally retire gtk+.  As I mentoned below, some packges need update to the
lastest release badly to get rid of gtk+ 1.2. And some packages can safely
retire from fedora, e.g. xmms.

Chen Lei