Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

Chen Lei supercyper1 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 07:01:01 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>

> Yeah that is one of the only two swami commits in the last 2 years.
>
> Anyway, do we have a Fedora policy to remove software just because
> they are old and unmaintained upstream? If there is a happy userbase
> and a maintainer willing to take care of the package, what is the big
> deal?

It seems fedora don't have a such policy to retire a package unless the
maintainer wants to do it. I started this discussion because debian droped
gtk+ 1.2 in squeeze and RHEL 6 also dropped gtk+ 1.2 in its package
collections. When rhel updates to a new big release, it always drops some
deprecated packages compared to the previous release.

Considering fedora 13 just remove ppc arch to secondary arch, it's
meaningful for fedora to retire some long dead upstream packages as well.
Maybe it's suitable to retire gtk 1.2 in F14 or F15, then remove it to
rpmfusion for a compatible reason as python 2.4.

Regards.
Chen Lei