Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

Chen Lei supercyper1 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 07:33:41 UTC 2010

2010/5/10 Ryan Rix <ry at n.rix.si>

> On Sun 9 May 2010 11:31:21 pm Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > On 05/10/2010 01:23 AM, Léon Keijser wrote:
> > > I still use an old nethack-like game that unfortunately depends on gtk
> > > 1.2.  Since i'll never be able to get it into Fedora, i just install
> gtk
> > > myself then i'm good to go again. I would regret it if my favorite
> > > distro drops the package simply because it's not being maintaned
> > > upstream.
> >
> > You should be pressuring the author of the game you use to use GTK 2.0.
> > If your game is no longer maintained, then you should update it yourself.
> >
> > Fedora is based on a principle of being First with software. GTK 1.0
> > does not fit into this category any more and hasn't for several Fedora
> > releases.
>
> That doesn't mean we should throw it to the wayside. If it works, it works.
> As
> long as someone is there to maintain it, let them maintain it. If the
> maintainer is willing to keep it going, who cares whether it's in the
> distro?
> In fact, why is this discussion occuring without the gtk+ maintainer
> involved?
> You'd think he'd have a say in it before the crowd wantonly decided to drop
> his packages.
>
> Ryan

This is a discussion for gtk+ 1.2 just like some other distributions,
retiring gtk+ 1.2 is not an easy thing and worth discussion between several
people. It'll be great if the gtk+ maintainer can involve in the
discussion.  Retiring long dead upstram packages will be helpful to keep yum
metadata in an accept size and encourage developers switch from old toolkits
to modern tookits.

Fedora always updates its gcc/python to the newest release and breaks a few
packages in repos, so it's the same case to treat development toolkits as
well if most of the applications can work compile with subsequent toolkits.

Chen Lei