Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:23:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 02:09:45 -0400, Orcan wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Chen Lei wrote:
> >
> > As I mentoned below, some packges need update to the
> > lastest release badly to get rid of gtk+ 1.2. And some packages can safely
> > retire from fedora, e.g. xmms.
> >

> At that point you break a cult. xmms still has a stubbornly loyal fan
> base (just go to #fedora and start talking about it).

Why don't they take care of http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/xmms and
additional tickets that have been "hidden" by EOL scripts already?

> Unlike almost
> everything else, xmms never fails to work.

A smiley missing?

> We don't want to get people
> upset, do we?

Well, seems to become a common trend in Fedora-land to do that more often.
I support Chen Lei here, as offering a growing number of out-dated apps
(both with regard to their maintenance/development state, look'n'feel, and
unhandled problem reports) is neither beneficial to Fedora nor to the app
itself. Those app users, who are left, will abandon the app [silently!] when
they face problems, especially if those problems won't be fixed in Fedora.
As has been mentioned, XMMS has various successors such as XMMS2 and
Audacious.