Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:49:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 02:09:45 -0400, Orcan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Chen Lei wrote:
>> >
>> > As I mentoned below, some packges need update to the
>> > lastest release badly to get rid of gtk+ 1.2. And some packages can safely
>> > retire from fedora, e.g. xmms.
>> >

>> At that point you break a cult. xmms still has a stubbornly loyal fan
>> base (just go to #fedora and start talking about it).
>
> Why don't they take care of http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/xmms and
> additional tickets that have been "hidden" by EOL scripts already?

That's because #fedora is a channel for users. Not many users can fix bugs.

I consider the number of open bugs pretty low for a classic software.
And from the magnitude of the bug ID numbers, I can tell that xmms is
still popular.
Why are they not fixed by the xmms maintainers? I don't know, and I
wonder about that too.

>> Unlike almost
>> everything else, xmms never fails to work.
>
> A smiley missing?

Here :)

>> We don't want to get people
>> upset, do we?
>
> Well, seems to become a common trend in Fedora-land to do that more often.
> I support Chen Lei here, as offering a growing number of out-dated apps
> (both with regard to their maintenance/development state, look'n'feel, and
> unhandled problem reports) is neither beneficial to Fedora nor to the app
> itself. Those app users, who are left, will abandon the app [silently!] when
> they face problems, especially if those problems won't be fixed in Fedora.
> As has been mentioned, XMMS has various successors such as XMMS2 and
> Audacious.

Fanaticism is a subjective concept. I am sure if it gets dropped, some
people will start using other applications, some will resort to a 3rd
party repo for xmms. Another subjective topic is taste; there is no
point in debating about taste. I like the look'n'feel of gtk
applications better than gtk2 ones. Other people might disagree.

The reason why we still have xmms is a cumulative sum of subjective
decisions. The benefit of it to Fedora is, well, people can exercise
their freedom. :)

Orcan