Fedora 13 continuing the tradition of being an update monster

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue May 11 10:33:09 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, den 11.05.2010, 02:14 -0400 schrieb James Antill:
> Thankfully all the giant flamewars and new policies didn't make anyone
> think twice about the users, as we already have 140 updates with a
> combined size of _over_ 750MB on x86_64,

This number is kind of irrelevant as nobody will have to install them
all.
And how was this counted? I see 2384 stable updates, but they are tagged
F13 final, so they are no updates although they went trough the update
system. I see 75 pending updates ATM.

> biggest 5 are:
>
> 6.2M wesnoth-1.8.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
>  12M hanazono-fonts-20100222-2.fc13.noarch.rpm
>  48M xmoto-0.5.3-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
> 260M wesnoth-data-1.8.1-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
> 318M openarena-0.8.5-1.fc13.noarch.rpm

Although I'm one of the persons who opposed to the high number of
updates in the past I don't see anything wrong with these. I don't have
any of them installed so there is nothing for me to update. But people
who play these games will surely appreciate the new upstream versions.

This being said I think we should decrease the number of
      * useless updates. New upstream versions of a game do not fall
        into this category, they are useful for the gamers.
      * updates that affect a large count of users and don't offer much
        value.

> ...the last being particularly "nice", in that the package hasn't been
> updated for almost a year but now we get 2 300MB+ presents at once.

I only see one openarea update in bodhi, openarena-0.8.5-1.fc13. I agree
however that this update should have come earlier as 0.8.5 was already
released on February 23rd.

> Welcome to the new Fedora updates, much like the old Fedora updates.
> Hey, at least Kevin should be happy.

Please keep in mind that the new update policy is not yet active.

Regards,
Christoph