Deltarpm volunteers welcome (was Re: Fedora 13 continuing the tradition of being an update monster)

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:49:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:23 -0400, James Antill wrote:
>  Within Fedora deltarpms have a limit of applying only to rpms less than
> 100MB, so there are no deltarpms. Anyone who wants to blame rel-eng for
> that is free to fix the delarpm code...

On that subject, anyone who wants to fix this would be much appreciated.
The problem is that when deltarpm *creates* a new deltarpm, it reads the
full uncompressed old rpm and uncompressed new rpm into RAM.  The way to
fix it is to delta chunks of the old and new rpm at a time.

Unfortunately, given the way the code is written, it's not a trivial fix
and I haven't had time over the last year or so to get it done.

So volunteers are welcome.

Jonathan