Quake3 security issue and non-responsive maintainer: Xavier Lamien

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 11 22:28:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> I use the non-responsive process or active nagging quite a lot, since I
> often stumble upon such packages (it already happend twice to youtube-dl
> that the current maintainer did not have enough time). Thankfully the
> start of the non-responsive process often leads to maintainers realising
> that they have not enough time, so that they orphan their packages. It
> seems to me that mentioning the non-responsive process is needed to get
> some attention.

But do we know how often it gets used say every month, every quarter,
every 6 months? Are we talking about 1% of the devel packageset being
impacted in a six month period by the AWOL process? Again "quite a
lot"   is being used in a very qualitative way.  We aren't talking
about tens of people like you using it heavily are we? How much of the
orphaning activity is prompted by AWOL versus proactive
self-assessment?

-jef