syslog-ng

Peter Czanik pczanik at fang.fa.gau.hu
Wed May 12 12:28:49 UTC 2010

Hello,

> On 04/08/2010 10:02 AM, Peter Czanik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm helping to upgrade syslog-ng to current version in major Linux
>> distributions. I would like to ask, if you could update syslog-ng to
>> version 3.1. I'm working on the openSUSE version of syslog-ng 3.1 (
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/czanik:/branches:/Base:/System/openSUSE_Factory/src/
>> ), and it is also being upgraded in Debian (
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/syslog-ng.html ) and Gentoo (
>> http://gentoo.linuxhowtos.org/portage/app-admin/syslog-ng ) and Mandriva
>> ( http://sophie.zarb.org/viewrpm/b8182fa1eee109cc655a020a2cb62f5f ).
>>
>> For a complete list of changes, please see:
>> http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files/syslog-ng/open-source-edition/3.0.5/changelog-en.txt
>> http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files/syslog-ng/open-source-edition/3.1.0/changelog-en.txt
>>
>> Major changes from the packaging point of view:
>>
>> - addition of new utilities:
>> /usr/bin/pdbtool
>> /usr/sbin/syslog-ng-ctl
>>

> Are these tools executed by init scripts or just by administrators?
>
>> - apparmor (or SElinux in case of Fedora) needs some extra permissions:
>> /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl rw,
>>
> Is this a sock_file?
>
>> /var/run/syslog-ng/additional-log-sockets.conf r,
>>
> Why not put syslog-ng.ctl in /var/run/syslog-ng?
>
>> capability sys_tty_config,
>>
> What other processes need to read/write in these directories or sock_files?
>
>> Version 3.0 also added SSL support among many other changes, but that
>> can't be enabled on openSUSE (configure arg: --disable-ssl): syslog-ng
>> is in /sbin, openssl libs are in /usr/lib, linking from /usr is not
>> allowed in /, and SSL is not available statically for security reasons.
>> As far as I can see (I have a Fedora 13 snapshot installed in vmware),
>> Fedora has the same problem.
>>
>> Please let me know, if you need any additional help/information to get
>> syslog-ng updated for Fedora.

I'm looking for information, how to get a package (in my case:
syslog-ng) updated to the latest available version. First I tried to
contact the original syslog-ng packagers directly, but I got no response
at all. Here on the list I got some questions about the new syslog-ng
version, but while I update my rawhide installation quite often, I still
did not see an update for syslog-ng.

Now I looked around on the Fedora wiki, how I could to the packaging
work myself. I found a page with many interesting details:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join , but this seems
to be for packagers joining to add a new package. How could I get an
existing package upgraded?

Bye,
CzP