Realtek 8192se on F12/F13

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed May 12 13:05:54 UTC 2010

Hi Jos,

On 05/10/2010 12:38 PM, Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of support for the Realtek 8192se WiFi
> controller in F12 and F13?
>
> I see in some wiki page a reference to the Realtek website,
> at least for (stock) F12.
>
> Is this chipset in the meantime supported in the F12 kernel
> and/or will it be supported in F13?

I just happen to have spend 2 days recently getting such
a card to work. With older versions of the realtek provided
driver you will get bad reception with newer versions a kernel
panic due to stack corruption. After spending too much time
on this, I've found at that this version:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/36688638/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1211.2009.tar.gz

Which is the 0010 version + bugfixes for 64 bit and the bad
reception issue (power of the transmitter programmed too low)
fixed works very well.

I meant to write a blog pist about this but I have not gotten around to
this yet.

Note this version is attached to this launchpad bug, which comes with
186 comments:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/401126?comments=all

Enjoy,

Hans