Preupgrade F12->F13 error

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed May 12 20:01:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Clovis Tristao wrote:

> How do I increase size the boot partition, with LVM?
> My partition:

> /dev/sda1             190M   39M  142M  22% /boot

LVM won't help you with a physical partition like that. If the disk space
immediately following /dev/sda1 is free you can increase the size of
/dev/sda1 (eg. using fdisk) and then use resize2fs to increase the size of
the file system.
If the rest of the disk is LVM and you have enough spare space you can
shrink the LVM area used using pvresize, then the partition containing it,
use the free space to create a new LVM partition, use pvmove to move your
logical volumes over to the new area, delete the original LVM area, and
use the freed space to extend /dev/sda1, then perhaps reverse the process
so that LVM uses up all the disk not otherwise allocated.

Thus it might be possible to increase the size of /dev/sda1 in some
circumstances, but it is probably only worth attempting if you are good
linux skills.

 	Michael Young