Fedora 13 Release Candidate Phase

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed May 12 20:59:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 02:23:38 +0530,
  Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 02:22 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I don't see that pulling in the games is a good idea. The release process is
> > that only blockers should be pulled in right now, though that is being
> > bent a little. There should be some clarification done in that regard for
> > the next release, but there is no way these game updates are in that category.
> > While the risk that they would break other things seems very low, I don't
> > think starting out with a smaller updates repository at this point is worth
> > taking the risk. I might be convinced otherwise for a large package that
> > was on the default install as that could result in significant bandwidth
> > savings. But I don't think that applies to wesnoth or openarena.
> >

> Well then, why do I hear people complain about it?

I think because they see the size of updates as important and the risk of
something breaking as being very low. Also the rules for including new
packages are being bent for some packages, which makes one think they can
be bent for other packages.

I don't think the complaints are unreasonable. I think the answer should still
be no. The process should be explained as well as at least a general rational
for other exceptions granted this go around. And for the future the process
should be more closely followed and the process documentation updated if there
are reasons we will take updates for packages other than to fix blockers after
the RC process has started.