PackageKit need to be more intelligent!

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 12 21:08:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010, João Neto wrote:

> The system package manager for Fedora to be smarter ...
>
> When the user will get a package like this:

Not sure what package kit is doing but just for fun try:

yum search Latex Editor | less

I get a number of replies.

the ones at the top  are better.

> Serch by: Twitter

search for twitter client

it returns a bunch of them

> Serch by: Gtalk
yum search gtalk
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, keys, presto
================================ Matched: gtalk ============================
empathy.i686 : Instant Messaging Client for GNOME
qutim.i686 : Multiprotocol (ICQ, Jabber, IRC etc) instant messenger with
            : modern Qt4 interface

> Serch by: Msn
> - Pakage Devel
> - AMSN (MSN Only by having the name!)
> - Emesene, Kopete, Pidgin, Empathy don`t be on the search result box!
> That is, the search is for nothing!

I think we should have package kit use yum search
rather than yum list for the searching?

I'll see if I can find out what's the story there.

-sv