PackageKit need to be more intelligent!

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed May 12 21:58:01 UTC 2010

> On 05/13/2010 02:38 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> >

> > I think we should have package kit use yum search
> > rather than yum list for the searching?
> >
> > I'll see if I can find out what's the story there.
>
> The search box has a icon on the left side which defaults to searching
> the name rather than description.  It is probably too subtle to notice.
> I bet that is the problem here.

I don't know if that's the issue, but this reminded me of this:
http://www.secretgeek.net/ms_search.asp

Implementing "search" is difficult.  In a good implementation, the user
shouldn't need to understand the schema of the underlying database
("name" vs "description"): you should be able to type text and get good
results, in a meaningful order.  You should be able to misspell things
and have the program cope.  You should be able to type synonyms of words
and get good suggestions.  It should cope with non-English queries.

I don't know how to solve this well for Fedora; FWIW, I saw that the
package database recently gained an Applications search feature.  I'd
love it if software search results within Fedora could direct the user
to a pending package review, or to a relevant SIG within Fedora,
perhaps.

Hope this is helpful
Dave