Increase grub timeout

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat May 15 13:48:08 UTC 2010

openSUSE's Grub has defaulted to 8 seconds as long as openSUSE has existed,
same as SuSE before it as far back as I ever used it. The 8 is in a select
list in the installer's Grub configuration section, so it's easy to change
prior to first boot. I always change it to 12-15, depending on how many
stanzas are proposed. 3 seconds doesn't give me time to reach for the
keyboard, much less both comprehend to what I see and react.

This Grub timeout situation is much like desktop font sizes. If fonts are too
big/timeout is too long, it's much easier to make smaller/set shorter than to
make bigger/set longer if fonts are too big/timeout too short.

IOW, if it cannot be perfect (which it cannot), better too long than too short.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/