base kernel to build fedora

Xose Vazquez Perez xose.vazquez at gmail.com
Sat May 15 14:38:02 UTC 2010

On 01/26/2009 07:04, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

from a last year message:

> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>>> The koji build boxes all run RHEL 5.  Getting them upgraded to a not-yet-
>>> released kernel seems unlikely.
>>
>> I know it is a pain, on the other hand it would really improve Fedora 11.
>
> Not only that.  It is the only way to actually test what we are shipping.
>
> At least from glibc's POV (but indirectly from a much wider range) we
> have to compile everything on the kernel we are shipping for the
> release.  Period.  I know that the current build infrastructure doesn't
> do this but this only means it has to change.  We have virtualization
> available, there is no excuse.

Is there any plan to build fedora with their own kernel ?

It's a 'must have', for some packages.

e.g. GLIBC: http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob_plain;f=sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/kernel-features.h;hb=HEAD

A lot of features can't be used, because 2.6.18(3.5 years old)
is the base kernel.