ImageMagick update

Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) forum at hubbitus.com.ru
Sun May 16 15:14:40 UTC 2010

03.05.2010 03:37, Orcan Ogetbil пишет:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:

>>> That does not detect packages that require ImageMagick-c++,
>>> ImageMagick-perl etc. The wildcard \*  seems to work. So it would be
>>> good to run a command to include the subpackages of ImageMagick, with
>>> the --alldeps flag, e.g.
>>>
>>> $ repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires --alldeps ImageMagick\*
>>> etc
>>>
>>> Orcan
>>>

>> It produce big list of packages, thank you.
>>
>> What about second part of my questions? How frequently I should (can)
>> update package?
>>
> There was a huge debate about the updating packages policy in the last
> months in this list.  I don't think there is a unique answer to this
> question.
>
> I would say, it is left to the decision of the maintainer. It all
> comes down how big the update is.
>
> * Suppose there is a big API/ABI change: If you believe that you can
> deal with rebuilding all the dependent packages, and support them all
> in stable branches, go ahead and update. Otherwise update only in
> rawhide and let people know that they need to rebuild their packages,
> or rebuild them yourself.
> * Just a bugfix release, with no API/ABI breakage: In this case it
> should be safe to update.
>
> I tried to answer the question as neutral as possible as I don't want
> to restart the bitchfest.
>
> Orcan

Thank you, Orcan. And off course I do not want any holly-war.
I just wonder about frequently of upstream releases (as I say before
around one in week). Is it normal update it in rawhide each time?

About ABI breakage there separate problem in ImageMagick -
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg736218.html
So, upstream is not carefully there and I never can't guarantee what
there no ABI breakage in any update...

P.S. It seams it does not hit list, i post mail again. It is reason such
big delay...