ImageMagick update

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun May 16 15:35:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> I just wonder about frequently of upstream releases (as I say before around
> one in week). Is it normal update it in rawhide each time?
>
> About ABI breakage there separate problem in ImageMagick -
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg736218.html
> So, upstream is not carefully there and I never can't guarantee what there
> no ABI breakage in any update...

Hi Pavel,
It should be okay to update stuff in rawhide, but you probably need to
give time to maintainers to rebuild their packages before branchings
(for example, to F-14) or rebuild them yourself.

Is the upstream not bumping the soname when they change the ABI?
That's not very nice. Is there no way to "educate" them?

You can use Debian's unresolved symbols detection script that is
mentioned in the above link. I would say, rebuilding 30(?) packages
every other week just for an ImageMagick update would be impractical,
even if it is done in rawhide only. If you are not comfortable with
detecting the ABI breakage, or if you can't dedicate enough time, I
recommend to update every 2-3 months.

Let's hear what others will say.

Orcan