Increase grub timeout

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue May 18 18:19:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:05:30PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> I am in love with having a system that boots. And experience shows that
> I'm in the grub prompt quite often. Now admittedly, I'm doing kernel
> builds and the like, but even when I'm not, I'll often need to stick a
> parameter on a kernel boot line or choose a kernel to run. And then
> there's the bad upgrade[0] case in which grub proves useful too.

Nobody has suggested "Grub should not be available". Having a timeout of
0 doesn't prevent any of the things you want to do. If you're unable to
get to grub at all without setting a timeout then that's something that
needs fixing, but we're better off exploring *why* your machine is
behaving differently rather than bandaiding over it with a timeout and
prompt.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org