short window between fedora-release update and resuming of updates-testing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 18 23:52:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I understand the decision behind enabling updates-testing repo by
> default, I think it should be turned off much earlier,  perhaps during
> the beta release phase.  Due to the workflow I follow,  one of the
> problems of having it enabled by default till very late in the release
> cycle is that once I get the update running on my system, I sometimes
> forgot to push the update from updates-testing to updates repo for some
> of the packages I maintain.  That was partially the reason why a major
> deja-dup update didn't go in sooner.

I'm not sure how turning updates-testing off sooner is going to help
you remember to push to stable ahead of a deadline.  You'd be
personally running your own updates-testing builds on your personal
systems regardless of whether updates-testing is on by default or
not..aren't you? Can you explain your workflow in more detail? This
seems like completely separate issues to me.

For me the only thing that's really going to help me be more aware of
an rc freeze deadline and to push things to stable instead of letting
them sit in testing is some proactive and repeated nagging from bodhi
about my packages sitting in testing ahead of a freeze deadline to
remind me to consider doing a stable push. I'm already relying on the
bodhi nag emails about testing packages as a backstop when there's not
enough karma to automate a push..but the timing of those reminders
aren't pre-release freeze deadline aware.  Have you been relying on
reminders from bodhi about old testing updates to fire off stable
pushes as part of your current workflow?

-jef