web-m and Fedora 14

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:09:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

http://openvideoalliance.org/2010/05/google-frees-vp8-codec-for-html5-the-webm-project/

"All videos that are 720p or larger, uploaded to YouTube after May 19th,
will be be encoded in WebM."

So you all already heard the news,  Google has released web-m as a
royalty free format under a BSD license style license.  They have also
have started using it in YouTube.  So if we get things aligned, Fedora
14 would be able to play YouTube out of the box which is a pretty major
thing not to mention a boost for the open web.

* Gstreamer plugins -   Is it separate?  Is anyone looking into that?

*  Firefox nightly has support for it.  I don't know if Mozilla plans a
release in time or we should look into backporting it and getting
trademark approval

* Chromium devel has support for it too.  Spot has a repo running that
is widely used and should be updated

Any grand plans?  Should we put up a feature page?

Rahul