web-m and Fedora 14

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu May 20 21:33:49 UTC 2010

2010/5/20 Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) <ngompa13 at gmail.com>:
> It's too bad that we can't say that Fedora 13 has all these cool things.
> Fedora would get some considerable notoriety for being the first to fully
> support it. Then again, we cannot fully support it for HTML5 since Firefox
> doesn't have it... And Chromium is still not in the repositories. That
> leaves only the WebKitGtk+ based browsers that use GStreamer. Nevertheless,
> it would be great to have Fedora 13 be the first to be able to create
> .webm files.

It's still really _raw_ at this point.  There is a reason that all the
example stuff for this is in development and preview builds.

The library can only be built as a static lib righ now. There are what
appear to be security relevant bugs getting fixed. It also needs some
significant performance improvements before its useful at high
resolutions (1080p decode of the "parkjoy" clip on my 2.8ghz x86_64
quad core is not realtime using all four cores :( ).

The vp8 team at goggle had externally imposed deadline, and we know
what those do to software quality.

Just drop it in the repos post release once it's stable and fast
enough to do something useful.   Until then there is a lot of
integration work needed, but shipping unfinished work won't make it
happen faster... it'll just make life harder in the future when people
are stuck working around the bugs in early versions that were widely
deployed before they were ready.