web-m and Fedora 14

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat May 22 08:14:01 UTC 2010

On 20.05.2010 18:42, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 14:25 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> I'd expect most of the support to end up in F13 updates, so I'm not
>> sure a feature page really makes sense.
> This happens with a lot of our features anyway, [...]

And that imho is quite bad for everyone involved, as it kind of makes
everyone unhappy afaics.

To explain: Journalists (even those that are familiar with Fedora) can't
know each and every details of Fedora and thus rely on those feature
pages quite a lot. So after reading
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE44 (¹) they might write (for
example) something like "One of the new interesting things in Fedora 13
is KDE 4.4" .

But most people that already use KDE and Fedora 12 will know: that's
nothing new, I already got that version via updates weeks ago. So they
will think "the journalists is not well informed, I don't need to read
this article any further". Some might ever write to the journalist "you
wrote crap, this is nothing new". So he might be angry with the Fedora
project, as the information it provided misguided him. That might
influence his writing for later releases, which is not what we want.

CU
knurd

(¹) Yes, that page contains "Currently KDE 4.4.2 is packaged in the
devel and Fedora 13 branches and also shipped in updates to Fedora 11
and 12.". But journalists are busy people and might not have time to
read each and every feature page completely (and might miss is easily
if they do).