Packaging Google Font Directory for Fedora 14

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 22 15:52:51 UTC 2010

Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Google released a set of high quality fonts as open source and I'm
> wondering of those can be packaged and included for/in the next Fedora
> 14. Would that be possible?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/

Not all of those fonts were actually released by Google, most of them are
just copied from somewhere else (which the Free Font licenses being used
allow, of course). The Droid fonts were designed by Ascender Corp. under
contract from Google, but as far as I know, most or all of the remaining
ones don't originally come from Google.

Several of those fonts are already packaged in Fedora: I recognized at least
the Droid fonts, Inconsolata, Vollkorn and Yanone Kaffeesatz. It would be
nice and useful to have the remaining ones packaged as well.

        Kevin Kofler