systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sat May 22 22:34:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, 23.05.10 02:40, Rahul Sundaram (metherid at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 05/23/2010 02:36 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > (And as a side note: systemd by default puts a tmpfs to both /var/run
> > and /var/lock).
> >

> So do you plan on getting it by default for Fedora 14?   :-)

Well, I am certainly planning to have a package for it in F14. But
whether we can have it as default is to be seen.

ATM everything looks rosy. I just finished porting over all F13
installed-by-default daemons to socket activation, and a few more (and
the patches are good enough to be upstreamable). I'll publish the
numbers of a 100% socket-activated boot soon. Codewise only very little
is missing to be fully ready for Fedora (in fact selinux support is the
only item really mattering on my todo list).

So far response from the community has been very positive, but we didn't
have a fedora-devel discussion about this yet, so we'll have to see
whether we can somehow make the broader community as enthusiastic about
the whole idea as I am. ;-)

(some of the systemd-related work in other projects already hit rawhide
btw, e.g. in udev)

A little bit down the road I'll make my mind up whether I plan to
suggest as a default for F14, and then propose that on
fedora-devel and FESCO. Stay tuned.

It would certainly be a shame though if other distros would ship systemd
by default before we do.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net