Font rendering in F13

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sun May 23 16:57:30 UTC 2010

Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
>
>> My experience has always been that the autohinter is way better than
>> all the bci stuff.
>
> Mine tells a different story, especially when dealing with standard'
> fonts such as Arial, Tahoma and even Courier New.
>
> What I'd like to see is a true, fully featured font rendering
> experience on the Linux desktop. Sadly, this goes through the bci
> thing, a method for custom glyph control/reconstruction, which patents
> expired recently.

I'm well aware that many people have different tastes about font
readability and that I'm probably out of the majority (who
wants "like on Windows" rendering). This awareness was actually
the reason of my post: to have guys remember that not everyone
welcomes the bci.

I don't mind defaults, I just need a flag to switch it off
for me (with no recompilation).

I don't want to find myself in the position of cursing the
_expiration_ of a lame software patent. 8-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it