web-m and Fedora 14

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon May 24 07:55:43 UTC 2010

On Saturday 22 May 2010 10:14:01 Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 20.05.2010 18:42, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 14:25 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >> I'd expect most of the support to end up in F13 updates, so I'm not
> >> sure a feature page really makes sense.
> >
> > This happens with a lot of our features anyway, [...]
>
> And that imho is quite bad for everyone involved, as it kind of makes
> everyone unhappy afaics.
>
> To explain: Journalists (even those that are familiar with Fedora) can't
> know each and every details of Fedora and thus rely on those feature
> pages quite a lot. So after reading
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE44 (¹) they might write (for
> example) something like "One of the new interesting things in Fedora 13
> is KDE 4.4" .
>
> But most people that already use KDE and Fedora 12 will know: that's
> nothing new, I already got that version via updates weeks ago. So they
> will think "the journalists is not well informed, I don't need to read
> this article any further". Some might ever write to the journalist "you
> wrote crap, this is nothing new". So he might be angry with the Fedora
> project, as the information it provided misguided him. That might
> influence his writing for later releases, which is not what we want.

It's a common problem with "journalists" - I remember one "review" which was
practically rewritten Fedora Features page. And guess what - one of the great
feature wasn't even included in final Fedora (not fully :D).

But there's difference - it's feature for F13 - it's going to include KDE 4.4.x
as default one and thus it's a new feature. Default F12 image still ships the
old one and you have to update.

R.

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>