base kernel to build fedora

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon May 24 12:01:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:45:49PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> People already ready run scripts to look for FTBFS packages now. Having to
> deal with all of these at once would be a real problem. Doing this this way
> allows us to spread out the fixing over time.

The problem isn't FTBFS packages, but packages that require devious
workarounds because Koji isn't quite like any other distro out there.

Koji is a Fedora userspace running on top of a RHEL 5 kernel.  This
tests out all sorts of strange and interesting paths inside glibc,
because glibc emulates a lot of system calls which didn't exist in
RHEL 5.  While extra testing is usually great, it's not clear that
dumping this testing on to package maintainers is a good thing,
particularly since Koji is about the only real world case where people
actually run mismatched userspace and kernel like this.  (There is no
distro that I know of that advocates running a brand new userspace on
top of an old kernel -- but please correct me if I'm wrong about
that).

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html