Compilation error building kernel-2.6.32.12-115.fc12

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon May 24 18:53:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/2010 12:01 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> I didn't say there was a vanilla-kernel.src.rpm, but there doesn't
>> need to be. You rebuild the Fedora kernel src.rpm file using rpmbuild,
>> passing in the flag '--with vanilla', which results in building a
>> (mostly) pure vanilla upstream kernel without (most of) the Fedora
>> patches, and spits out a resulting kernel-vanilla binary package.
>> *That* is the point. :)
>>
>> Excerpt from the Fedora kernel spec file:
>
>  That is good to know - thank you I wasn't aware of that flag. Usually
> people want to build upstream kernels to try newer versions with bug
> fixes, new featiures etc.
>
>  Lets say for example, (s)he wants to build 2.6.34 upstream ...
> following your recipe - what exactly needs to be done on fedora 12 ?

Rawhide typically tracks upstream pretty closely, so you can usually
find an apropos srpm in the build system. For example, for 2.6.34:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.34/11.fc14/

Navigate up just two levels from there, and you can see every upstream
base kernel version for which there's a source rpm available. No
2.6.35-to-be builds just yet, but there will be relatively soon.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com