base kernel to build fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 24 20:14:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 13:01 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:45:49PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > People already ready run scripts to look for FTBFS packages now. Having to
> > deal with all of these at once would be a real problem. Doing this this way
> > allows us to spread out the fixing over time.
>
> The problem isn't FTBFS packages, but packages that require devious
> workarounds because Koji isn't quite like any other distro out there.
>
> Koji is a Fedora userspace running on top of a RHEL 5 kernel.  This
> tests out all sorts of strange and interesting paths inside glibc,
> because glibc emulates a lot of system calls which didn't exist in
> RHEL 5.  While extra testing is usually great, it's not clear that
> dumping this testing on to package maintainers is a good thing,
> particularly since Koji is about the only real world case where people
> actually run mismatched userspace and kernel like this.  (There is no
> distro that I know of that advocates running a brand new userspace on
> top of an old kernel -- but please correct me if I'm wrong about
> that).

While building in vms is starting to make sense on x86, it still doesn't
make sense (or not possible) on other arches like ppc, s390, arm, sparc,
ia64, etc...  So building for those arches is going to continue to use
the mock path, which means if we don't do it for x86, we're going to run
into these odd code paths on even "odder" arches and make keeping those
up and running even harder.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!