systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue May 25 01:17:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 00:34 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 23.05.10 02:40, Rahul Sundaram (metherid at gmail.com) wrote:
>

> > On 05/23/2010 02:36 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > >
> > > (And as a side note: systemd by default puts a tmpfs to both /var/run
> > > and /var/lock).
> > >

> > So do you plan on getting it by default for Fedora 14?   :-)
>
> Well, I am certainly planning to have a package for it in F14. But
> whether we can have it as default is to be seen.

This is not intended to start a flamewar.

I hadn't really heard about systemd, so I did some poking through your
blog (http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html ), which has a very
lengthy amount on the subject, and thanks for writing that. There's even
a section entitled "On upstart", which points out a few issues with
Upstart and other things, such as SMF. But I'm still not really sure how
to answer the first thing I thought of, which was along the lines of
"why replace init yet again with something else when Upstart is just now
getting some traction in the wider community?". Can you point us to
where any background discussion has taken place with Upstart folks?

The thing is, I like some of the things Fedora re-invents differently.
For example, dracut is quite nice (though there are too many initramfs
creation tools available at this point, but then they do tend to be more
distro specific), but IMO it is better to avoid redoing something at all
costs unless driven by necessity of innovation. So assuming there's a
nice backstory here, a need for Fedora to do something different, etc.
then cool. But if there isn't, I'm much more weary of this.

Jon.