Font rendering in F13

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Tue May 25 17:40:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

> That's always been how it's looked to me as well, FWIW. Given that we
> default to using free world fonts and can't ship Microsoft's fonts it
> would seem sensible to default to the autohinter rather than the BCI, in
> my opinion. I definitely prefer the autohinter's interpretation of the
> fonts I usually use (Deja Vu / Vera).

I think it all boils down to this question:

Do we want Fedora to provide full support for the TrueType standard
(actually file format is much more appropriate) or not?

> I'd say the principle should be that we should use whichever
> non-encumbered method gives the closest rendering to that intended by
> the font designer of our default font set for any particular release.

>From what I know, the FreeType API doesn't allow to switch from one
method to another on a per-font basis. But to move on and completely
disable such a feature (bci) is a hefty price to pay. Would be nice if
we could build a kind of a whitelist where bci would be used against
this and that font and disabled otherwise.

-Ilyes Gouta