shared-mime-info inconsistencies

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Tue May 25 18:57:04 UTC 2010

According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#mimeinfo

packages should not depend on shared-mime-info, but instead only
update its database if it happens to be installed. I would expect
shared-mime-info to be pulled in by either specifying it in comps.xml
or as a dependency to gvfs (on GNOME) or its KDE equivalent, but
instead it is required by gnome-vfs2 (which should not pull it in
anymore, now that we have gvfs) as well as PackageKit, several
NetworkManager subpackages, and several other applications.

Should we consider these packaging bugs? I'd file the bugs and fix
them, but first we probably need to decide on what is the right way to
pull in shared-mime-info on a normal installation, and ensuring that a
fix does not break upgrades.

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim