systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Wed May 26 08:00:06 UTC 2010

On 05/25/2010 08:44 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 17:45 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>> Please, judge systemd on technical grounds, don't judge it on political,
>> or emotional grounds.
>
> I'm not trying to "judge" it at all. But when the first thing I really
> hear about a project is "we should replace our init system", my ears
> prick up and I start to dig to find out what the new thing is (which I
> admit I had never heard of) and why the rush. I'll read your blog again,
> and I'm sure you have good ideas, I'm just not keen to see us rush into
> replacing the init system again without some good co-ordination (I'm not
> just thinking with my RHEL hat on, but I admit to also thinking about
> other users of the base bits in the future).
>
> I'll shutup now and read your blog.
>
> Jon.

It doesn't have to be a "rush". systemd can easily be an alternative init system
in F14, if the services provide LSB initscripts.
Our goal for F14 should be to try to get the socket activation patches upstream,
which are really not obtrusive.
The decision if and when to switch to systemd can be made later on.
We are not in a hurry. Even after some releases with upstart our initscripts
have not yet been ported to upstart event files, which says a lot IMHO :-)