systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed May 26 12:16:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:42:13 +0200
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:45:07PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >> On Tue, 25.05.10 10:21, Casey Dahlin (cdahlin at redhat.com) wrote:
> > [...]
> > 3) Cutting down on the forking by replacing some of the shell
> > scripts... cool 3a) With C code... really?
>
> This does make a lot of sense to me, initscripts being scripts is a
> major slowdown factor
> by itself.
>
> It is not like you want to edit the scripts all the time, so there is
> no reason for them being scripts.

While you don't edit them *all* the time, it is something that is done
regularly, and it is something most admins can do with ease.
Turn them in a C program and you left admins out in the cold, most of
them.

I would be very, very wary of accepting a C "init script".
An unmanageable system is a useless system.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York