systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Wed May 26 14:07:12 UTC 2010

Seth Vidal wrote:

> +20 million.
>
> I couldn't agree more. They need to be scripts, considering how seldom
> they actually run it makes even less sense to chase down optimization in
> them by making them compiled.

Absolutely. I have no idea why you shouldn't use a small and light
interpreted language rather than C. You would have a standard library of
useful init related functions, so you wouldn't have to fork awk, etc. The
actual init scripts would be very small then. C is also missing useful
datatypes such as maps, which would require libraries to load.

Something like Lua would be very good. The overheads over C would be
minimal, and it would have the advantage of being editable.

I've had to edit an init script to get something working properly many
times.

Jeremy

--
http://jeremysanders.net/