systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed May 26 14:20:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 08:54 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > While you don't edit them *all* the time, it is something that is done
> > regularly, and it is something most admins can do with ease.
> > Turn them in a C program and you left admins out in the cold, most of
> > them.
> >
> > I would be very, very wary of accepting a C "init script".
> > An unmanageable system is a useless system.
>
> +20 million.
>
> I couldn't agree more. They need to be scripts, considering how seldom
> they actually run it makes even less sense to chase down optimization in
> them by making them compiled.

This is a nice example of how discussions on this list go off into the
weeds in no time.

'compiling initscripts' ? come on, that is just silly. Nobody is
proposing such a thing.

It is completely clear that there needs to be some flexibility in any
init system to cater to real-world services.

But it is also clear that there is a difference between gobs of shell
script and nice and clean files like the ones you find in /etc/init.