systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:25:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Jeremy Sanders
<jeremy at jeremysanders.net> wrote:
> Seth Vidal wrote:
>
>> +20 million.
>>
>> I couldn't agree more. They need to be scripts, considering how seldom
>> they actually run it makes even less sense to chase down optimization in
>> them by making them compiled.
>
> Absolutely. I have no idea why you shouldn't use a small and light
> interpreted language rather than C. You would have a standard library of
> useful init related functions, so you wouldn't have to fork awk, etc. The
> actual init scripts would be very small then. C is also missing useful
> datatypes such as maps, which would require libraries to load.
>
> Something like Lua would be very good. The overheads over C would be
> minimal, and it would have the advantage of being editable.

Well spawing your logic further means we should avoid compiled
programs at all, what if I want configure $app by editing its source
code?
Oh wait it is written in C ...

If it goes down to "want to edit scripts for configuration reasons"
(which isn't sane anyway) compared to a faster an cleaner boot process
I'd opt for the later.

Seriously source code is NOT and never was intended to be a
configuration system period.