systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Wed May 26 14:52:29 UTC 2010

> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 12:35 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
>
> > We did sit down and discuss things, and you convinced me that
> > launchd-style activation was a useful thing to have.  Then you went off
> > and wrote systemd anyway.
> >

> If you want to add socket passing to upstart as well, we can turn this
> into a win-win situation instead of flaming each other.
>
> If both upstart systemd support this in the same way, it will will be
> much easier to get the patches for the various services upstream. That
> is great.

I don't see any reason not to at least pass the LISTEN_FDS environment
variable (though I can't figure out what LISTEN_PID is for?)

Upstart will support a different mechanism as well though, because for
the services we want to activate this way in Ubuntu, there are benefits
to having the services "phone back" to Upstart to pick up the socket.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com