systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed May 26 17:37:11 UTC 2010

On 05/26/2010 12:07 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>> It is not like you want to edit the scripts all the time, so there is
>> no reason for them being scripts.
>
> I beg to differ. I've had to create or modify initscripts quite often,
> either as a sysadmin or a packager. If this is now going to require C
> coding skills, I'm not going to be able to do it. I don't think it's
> safe to assume that everyone who needs to write or modify an initscript
> is going to know C. What about people who write apps that need
> initscripts in some other language?

It could work out if systemd provided access to a system() equivalent
which could then execute an arbitrary script.

I think one good argument for redoing initscripts is that they are so
repetitive: most of the content is fairly standard: initialization,
argument  parsing, case $1 in start) stop), etc etc. ; stuff that might
as well be done in the common framework.