systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed May 26 17:45:08 UTC 2010

Le dimanche 23 mai 2010 à 00:34 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :

> ATM everything looks rosy. I just finished porting over all F13
> installed-by-default daemons to socket activation, and a few more (and
> the patches are good enough to be upstreamable).

For this kind of stuff I strongly suggest you do not limit yourself to
F13 installed-by-default daemons (which are mostly well-behaved C/C++
desktop-oriented code) but pass the reality check of converting
important server daemons (postfix, apache, bind...) and non C/C++
services (jboss or tomcat in java, amavisd-new or something else in
perl, etc)

Otherwise you'll replay the networkmanager drama with part of the Fedora
users going the new laptop way, part refusing to even look at it because
it can not translate in the server stuff they need at work, and everyone
being very sad, unhappy, and angry at others.

--
Nicolas Mailhot