systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed May 26 21:41:17 UTC 2010

James Findley (sixy at gmx.com) said:
> Actually the blog post is proposing exactly that, as I read it.  And it
> seems not only that lots of other people read it the same way, but some
> even agree with it.
>
> So I'm not sure I see how this is going off into the weeds - if
> transitioning some/all initscripts to C is a genuine goal of the author
> of the project, on which he is not prepared to budge, then that is
> likely to have bearing on its adoption into fedora, and rightly so.

What I took from it is that code like this from rc.sysinit:

if [ ! -e /proc/mounts ]; then
        mount -n -t proc /proc /proc
        mount -n -t sysfs /sys /sys >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

really doesn't need to be there. If you're redesigning the init system,
rather than keeping compatibility with ancient stupid sysvinit, there's
no reason that shell code is needed for this; init should Just Do It when
it starts. In fact, I'm pretty sure recent upstart releases do the same
thing. I'm sure we can find more examples if we look.

Bill