wqy-microhei-fonts (was: Re: rawhide report: 20100526 changes)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 26 21:58:22 UTC 2010

Rawhide Report wrote:
> In order to keep the WenQuanYi Zen Hei as default Simplified Chinese font,
> the fontconfig file of this WenQuanYi Micro Hei font is removed.

I think this is wrong. It'll break if somebody only has Micro Hei installed,
for space reasons (e.g. the F13 KDE spin ships wqy-microhei-fonts as the
only CJK font).

IMHO wqy-microhei-fonts should ship a fontconfig file claiming all of zh-cn,
zh-tw, ja and ko (it also contains glyphs for Katakana, Hiragana and
Hangul), but with lower priority than the default fonts. (But FWIW, qt is
picking up the Japanese and Korean glyphs even if the fontconfig file only
claims Chinese as it does in F13 GA. I haven't tested what happens with no
fontconfig file at all.)

        Kevin Kofler