systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Thu May 27 07:51:00 UTC 2010

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Jeremy Sanders (jeremy at jeremysanders.net) said:
>> Something like Lua would be very good. The overheads over C would be
>> minimal, and it would have the advantage of being editable.
>>
>> I've had to edit an init script to get something working properly many
>> times.
>
> If you're going to want them to be editable to pass the
> lowest-common-denominator test of whatever admins might be editing them, I
> think bash is probably the only reasonable choice.

Perhaps, though C is completely non editable to many sysadmins and lacks
easy to use builtin routines helpful in scripting (maps, lists, tuples,
string manipulation).

At least a simple Lua script should be comprehensible to the average
sysadmin in case they need to debug or trace something, even if they never
write anything.

Jeremy

--
http://jeremysanders.net/