fc12 in F13

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 27 15:26:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 06:49 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 06:44 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > I initially came to F13 through F12>  Rawhide (Pre-Branch)
> >
> > Should I still have this amount of fc12:
> > http://fpaste.org/eqVD/
> >
> > Some do not seem to have any corresponding fc13 pkgs.
> >

> That just means that the fc13 package doesn't have a higher
> name-value-release, so there's no need to upgrade to it.
>
> If you're really concerned about having the fc13 package, you can do a
> 'yum reinstall <package>' and it will exchange it in place with the fc13
> version.

Actually, that's the worse of the possible scenarios here. The newest
F-N package should always supersede the newest F-(N-1) package, if it
doesn't, that's essentially a packaging bug the packager ought to fix.

In the cases where you have an fc12 package and there is no fc13
package, though, that's not necessarily any kind of problem, it just
means the package wasn't rebuilt for F13, or if it was, the rebuild
failed. The rebuild failing would be something we'd want to fix over
time, but if the fc12 package works, there's no intrinsic problem here
for a user to worry about.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey