How this bug can come out of its dead-end? Any suggestions?!

Allann Jones allanjos at gmail.com
Thu May 27 18:41:47 UTC 2010

The device can be automatically mounted. It can be checked by its
label that is the original label released with the distro.

I think that should exists a relation between packages and the
repositories on a cached manner. If the repository is on a umounted
device (USB, CD/DVD-ROM) and is not possible to find it on a online
repository or does not exist a active Internet connection, should be
prompted to the user to put / plug the device and a additional thread
is on background checking if the device is mounted by label. A timeout
should be used on check thread to does not put the PackageKit to sleep
forever waiting the path to be mounted.

Should exists a functionality to collect data from the repositories on
media, giving the user the chance to put each DVD/CD on a scanning
process that is stored on the yum / PackageKit database.

Should exists a configuration option to try to search first on offline
repositories giving the user the chance to try use the media before
try to download packages from Internet.

I think that with this the PackageKit is not the responsible to mount the media.

Only ideas.

Thank you.

Best regards.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 02:28 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On 09/05/10 13:34, Hedayat Vatankhah wrote:
>
>>> If you have not see this at all, I've seen this frequently. Fedora
>>> sucks in this area for many years. I've seen it, so whatever
>>> arguments you bring; I KNOW that this bug IS very important and
>>> should be fixed.
>>
>> Currently there are various threads, about what Fedora is targeted at,
>> those questions as yet rmein without a proper answr.
>>
>>> Excuse me, I'm looking for a solution, not for wiping the problem
>>> statement.
>>
>> The solution for a new user to Linux, give hime Ubuntu-LTS.
>> When he knows some more, give him Fedora.
>
> This is a bad argument IMO.  Many users are advanced in some areas,
> but not others.  The whole idea that "Fedora is a distro for advanced
> users therefore it should be hard to use" is absurd.  The ability to
> install packages from a DVD just as easily as from the repos would be
> useful to a great many.
>
> Andrew.
> --

Allann J. O. Silva

"I received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was
not enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the
true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an
impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the
library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never
be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that
door and make the most of it." (from I. Asimov, 1994)