nvr issues, yum distro-sync

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu May 27 20:32:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 16:19 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > > For users who don't downgrade releases, [...]
> >
> > "Releases" there means distribution versions (i.e., collections in the
> > Package DB).  Ugh, confusing terminology.  Packages have versions and
> > releases; the distribution version appears as the version of the
> > fedora-release package, and yum calls it the $releasever.
> >

> yum calls it that b/c it is the VERSION of the DISTRIBUTION RELEASE
>
> or specifically the VERSION from the package which provides
> 'redhat-release'
>
> which includes: fedora-release, redhat-release, centos-release, etc, etc

I think the word "release" is being misused there.  In the mirror
layout, "releases" refers to the originally released content without
updates, but the distribution version stays constant across updates.

In an ideal world, I would rename *-release to *-distribution and change
the yum variable to $distver.  But I can totally understand if that
would cause more breakage (or mess by the time a backward compatibility
layer is put in) than it's worth.

--
Matt